Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Better Photos

So, who doesn't want to learn to take better photos? We all do! I am by no means a great photographer, but I have been focusing on better photography as the number one way in which to improve my crafting business. I admit, I find it time consuming and tedious. I would rather be making soap than taking pictures, but seeing my creations look good, is a great reward. I have a long ways to go, but here are some easy tips to get you started on making your products look better in photos.

-Use a photo editing program, such as photoshop or GIMP to adjust the colors of your images. Bright is better! Get GIMP free here http://www.facebook.com/pages/Middle-Tennessee-Etsy/109313592487617
-Take your pictures in natural light, if possible. Set up a photo area outside, or in a windowsill.

- Keep a white or uncomplicated background. Many people choose weathered barnwood for a rustic look.

-Avoid black or dark backgrounds, as they don't look as sharp or clean as white or cream.

-Simple and cheap, matte posterboard makes a great background.



-Keep practing! The pictures here are my first attempts playing with the free photo editor, GIMP. I didn't even know about it until this etsy seller showed me where to get it and how to use it, thanks! http://www.etsy.com/shop/amathia?ref=ss_profile

No comments:

Post a Comment