Sunday, February 12, 2012

House Plants- The Gift That Keeps On Giving

Second and Third Generation Plants in the Window
Many times, I post about projects you can make and sell; however, today I am going to discuss one of the best crafty purchases I have made online- plants. A few months ago, I bought some aloe vera and other plants on Etsy.com. Additionally, I bought some at the local grocery store. With a little love and tenderness, my plants have flourished, and I have been able to re pot the pups, or new shoots, into larger containers and novelty planters. What started out as a few plants, is now an entire table filled with lush foliage.

One of the great things about having plants that are easy to care for and reproduce quickly is the fact that I always have an inexpensive gift to give. I simply select a nice new shoot and re pot it in a unique container. A few years ago, my mom worked with a woman who painted terracotta pots for a hobby and gave out her painted pots as a gift. I like to shop at yard sales and thrift stores for vintage bowls, teapots, and planters. Whatever you use, giving a plant as a gift is something that will stay with the recipient for years. Perhaps your friend or loved one will even take up cultivating plants or decorating pots as a hobby.

New Aloe "Pups"
Another fun project is making terrariums in large glass containers with moss and decorations. You can layer different rocks and soil types in your vessel for visual interest, or add colored sand. Glass gems, river rocks, figurines, and pottery shards all make for fun decorations on the top layer of your terrarium or arranged in your potted plants.

What plants are best to start with? I am no expert, but after evaluating my climate and the amount of light in my house, I decided that succulents would be an economical choice to start with. Most succulents do well in drier conditions with some sunlight. The plants in the top picture with the long shoots and thick leaves are from the grocery store. I wish I knew what kind they were! During my research, I noticed that for shadier environments and more frequent watering, spider plants are a good choice for houseplants that grow quickly and multiply. They are also reputed to be the best plants for cleaning the air and freshening your house.

Vintage Teapot and Polymer Clay Beetle

So, what crafty things can you do with your plants, once they start to grow and reproduce? Here is a polymer clay bug that I purchased at a craft show for my plants. Making decorative figurines from wire, clay, or painted rocks is an easy way to add a personal touch to your foliage. Previously, I mentioned that painting terracotta pots was a hobby of a woman who loved to give away handpainted pots with a plant. This site here has some information on painting teracotta pots:
http://www.the-artistic-garden.com/how-to-paint-terra-cotta.html

A recent trend is giving baby plants in cute containers away as wedding and shower favors. Just add a sentimental gift tag about a new life or relationship growing, or maybe some classic poetry, a nice container, and simple instructions, and you are set! Mini pots can be found at any major gardening store or online.

I am still a novice at indoor gardening, but I love looking for unique containers for my plants, along with new varieties of greenery at the local farmer's market. Last summer, I also grew basil in my windowsill and it was very successful! The most satisfying thing is to find a great container and decorate it, then add a baby plant for a handmade gift.

2 comments:

  1. I am notorious for killing plants. My friends tell me I have a black thumb. But the one thing I have had the most success growing is thyme. It is an herb that grows in bright sun with very little water. It's also incredibly delicious and widely used in many different cuisines. I also add it to eggs and grilled cheese to make them seem a little more gourmet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to try that! I did basil last year and that grew well until it got cold. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete