Friday, April 6, 2012

What Can I Do With This? Yard Sale Finds From The 'Boro

Painting with Necklace
Who else likes yard sales and thrift stores? I love them because I can always find unusual objects to use in my arts and crafts. Today, I found a sunflower painting on canvas and a vintage amber colored necklace with a huge focal bead. I also got a paisley cotton sheet at Goodwill on Memorial in Murfreesboro, TN. Total cost of these materials = 5.50 dollars!

The sheet was 1.00 dollar and I harvested almost 3 yards of pure cotton fabric. The painting, which needs a little love and care to clean it up was 3.00 at a yard sale. Also found at the same yard sale was the necklace for 1.00 dollar. Now that is a lot of fun materials to work with for a small price. The big question that remains is, what am I going to do with it? I think I am going to clean up the painting and embellish it with metallic ink and rubber stamps, disassemble the necklace and salvage the beads, and turn the fabric into fabric ribbons. In the last picture, you can see some mixed media cards with metallic die cuts and the paisley fabric. I harvested a lot of fabric from the sheet, so I have plenty left to do more with, yay!
Before cutting the sheet with a rotary cutter, I put it through the washer and dryer twice to make it appear a little more worn and shabby. 
Close Up Necklace


Spot On Painting



Mixed Media Using Paisley Cotton Sheets From Goodwill

No comments:

Post a Comment